If you want to enjoy college basketball more aside from watching on the sidelines, betting would be the perfect chance to do that. What’s more, you can have the chance to earn more money as you watch every game live. However, before betting, you should prepare and know a few things. To walk you through this, here’s a brief list of information you need to know to get started.
Find a Sportsbook
To officially start betting on college sports, you must find a site to cater your bets. Once you’ve made sure you can legally bet, you need to start searching for your sportsbook selection. Fortunately, finding several betting site options is going to be easy. Here are a few things you can do to give you a brief idea of how to determine a reliable sportsbook.
- Check the Site’s Security. Betting with real money risks losing them, so you must protect your information when betting online. You can initially check if the site is safe by checking its SSL certificate. It contains information about the site and whether it’s safe or not. Clicking on it will tell you whether you should proceed to the sportsbook site.
- Read for Past User’s Reviews. Another way to check the reliability of a sportsbook is by reading the reviews and experiences of past clients or users. Playing online allows you to access public posts from these clients. They’re usually posted on online sportsbook communities, personal blogs, sports, and betting blogs, etc.
- Assess Payment Method. Assessing the online sportsbook’s payment method gives you an idea of how they value their users. A site with several trusted payment methods will give the impression that they value their users’ experiences. So, it would be an additional point if you discover that a site also offers your preferred method.
Study the NCAA Basketball Odds
First, the odds don’t give you the statistics of a team’s chances of winning. Instead, it presents the possible total winnings if you bet on a particular team. The sportsbook usually presents the od
ds, so you must find one that’s reliable and can regulate your bets well.
Furthermore, there are several types of sports betting odds. Still, if you’re betting for college basketball, the NCAAB odds are usually presented in money-line or American odds.
You need to understand two main things: the minus (-) sign refers to the favorite teams to win the game, those with better chances of winning based on past performances, and game statistics by experts. Meanwhile, the positive (+) sign refers to the underdogs who are least likely to win the NCAAB event.
Learn About the Bets You Can Place
Once you’ve learned how to read the odds, it would be perfect to familiarize yourself with a few bets you can place for the NCAAB. Again, it’s not entirely different from regular sports events, but if you want to recall or learn more, here are the three most common types of bets you can learn.
- Money Line. Money Line is the most straightforward college basketball bet you can participate in. It doesn’t have any complicated instructions, and all you have to do is place money on the team you think will win the NCAA basketball event outright.
- Totals (Over/Under). Unlike Money Line, total markets are more concerned with the final combined score of the playing team. In this betting market, the sportsbook will present a predicted total score by the two teams. Then, you only have to bet whether the final combined score will be over or under the predicted total score.
- Point Spread. This bet allows both teams to have equal chances. If you bet for the favorite, they must win the game and reach a particular score so you can receive your payouts. However, if you bet on the underdog, they must only lose a little or win directly.
Understand the Schedule
The schedule is the next vital factor to understand when getting into college basketball betting. It’s like a calendar that contains every team’s bracket from the start of the season to the National championship. Understanding the schedule allows you a decent time to prepare for the game, research who to bet on, and determine who has the best chance of winning.
The NCAAB usually starts around early November; the bracket should be announced just before that. Aside from that, March Madness is also one of the most awaited NCAAB events. The bracket for this month-long event begins on a Selection Sunday in April.
Formulate Bankroll Management System
Finally, if you’re new to sports betting, you should understand that a bankroll management system is an excellent way to manage your bets. A bankroll is a thoughtful allocation of money solely used for betting. Creating a management system allows you to have better control of yourself. It helps you not to chase your losses and helps you be more aware of when to stop.
A management system involves limiting every bet you place and making conscious decisions about how much you would be willing to bet every game. This can be a challenge, but you can look for a simple guide to help you get started.
After going through the article, you should now have a general knowledge of what you should prepare and where to start. It isn’t too hard, but you need to put in effort. As such, just read through the article to guide you and enjoy your next new season of NCAAB by betting.